Every wondered about the warnings on mouthwash bottles not to swallow the ingredients?
- Most conventional mouthwashes are alcohol based and have a high alcohol content.
- There have been studies done confirming the association between this ingredient and oral cancers*
- Some of the other common ingredients like saccharin and formaldehyde (yes. Formaldehyde!) have been indicated in eye, nose and throat irritation and as triggers for migraines.
- Many also contain synthetic colourings
So what to use instead to bust the bacteria naturally?
Here’s a great little recipe that Belinda from Happy Health shared recently. It’s too good not to share!
- 3/4 C water
- 2 drops doTERRA peppermint oil
- 2 drops doTERRA spearmint oil
Place all ingredients in a jar and give them a little shake.
Swill in your mouth after brushing morning and night for minty fresh breath!
The doTERRA oils are safe to ingest so if you accidentally swallow a little bit, it’s completely fine! Despite this, the reason you want to spit this rinse out is because the aim of using the mouthwash is to kill and clear bacteria from your mouth before you go to bed and when you wake up. This prevents them taking up residence further down in your gastrointestinal tract.
An added bonus…peppermint oil also promotes optimism, and strength in the face of emotional or difficult times. Spearmint is the oil of confident speech, clarity and courage. How could they not start your day in a positive way!
Have a great Sunday!
*McCullough, MJ and Farah, CS (2008) The role of alcohol in oral carcinogenesis with particular reference to alcohol-containing mouthwashes