I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting with buckwheat… my new favourite, easy, go-to breakfast, you’ve probably realised.
Here’s the latest one…
Love it. I’ve even carted it with me when I’ve been tripping around this holidays. I’m sure it would be delicious heated but I’ve been eating it chilled with a little bit of fruit – raspberries, a half of a banana with this one, topped with coconut and a random mix of nuts and seeds.
I found the original recipe on the Oh She Glows blog, with some changes bit to suit what I had in my pantry and fridge.
Raw Choc PB buckwheat porridge
2 Cups raw buckwheat groats
1 1/4C milk – your choice, I used Almond mylk
2 Tbs Chia seeds
1Tbs sweetener of your choice – rice malt syrup was mine. I usually use less than the recommended amount of sweetener, I cut this back from 1/4C.
I tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon (shake, shake, shake! I love cinnamon!)
1 1/2 Tbs cacao
1 1/2 Tbs peanut butter – organic, no additives!
Pinch of Salt 9 (omit if you like, especially if the PB has salt added)
The how to…..
- Soak the 2 cups of buckwheat groats in double the amount of water overnight – 6-8 hours.
- Rinse well in the morning.
- Place one cup of the soaked buckwheat in a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Stir the remaining cup of soaked buckwheat in so as to give a bit of crunch (if you prefer it smooth, blend it all in the previous step). The buckwheat soaks up LOTS of water so you will have more than two cups of groats in the morn.
- Freeze the remaining groats for later use!
- Serve, topped with a pantry surprise. Whatever you have on hand – coconut, pepitas, cacao nibs, almonds, macadamias, pistachios, fresh or frozen fruit.
Should make 4 x 1C servings. Store in jars in the fridge and use in the next few days.
Don’t forget to share below if you make it!